COCONUT CREAM PIE BARS
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Calories: 500 kcal
This recipe for coconut cream pie features a creamy and crunchy coconut filling, a crispy crust, and mounds of sweet and creamy whipped cream. The pie crust is then blind-baked until the mixture is thick and creamy. The coconut cream pie bars are topped with fresh whipped cream. This is a rich and creamy dessert that’s perfect with coconut.
YOU WILL NEED THE FOLLOWING INGREDIENTS:
- 1 cup (2 Sticks) unsalted butter cold
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3 cups half and half
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 4 eggs large
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2/3 cups cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
Make the Crust:
- Line a 9×13-inch baking dish with aluminum foil. Using a double layer of foil, extend the sides by about 2 inches. In addition, use a cooking spray to coat the baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ingredients for the crust. Prepare the baking dish and put it in the oven for around 20 minutes. When the edges of the crust start to brown, remove from the oven and cool.
- Spread 1/2 cup of the coconut in a thin layer on a rimmed baking sheet and allow it to set in the oven until golden brown. Set aside the remaining ingredients for the top.
Make the Filling:
- In a separate bowl, combine the egg yolks and the sugar. In a saucepan, over medium heat, combine the cornstarch and sugar. Continue to whisk the mixture while continuously adding the half and half mixture.
- When the mixture starts to boil, continue whisking it constantly. After a few minutes, it will start to thicken. Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the coconut, milk, salt, and coconut extract. Stir well and allow to cool down for a couple of minutes. Then, spread the mixture over the crust.
Make the Topping:
- You will need to use a whisk attachment or a bowl and a whisk if you want to make this. In a saucepan, combine 2 cups heavy whipping cream and 2 cups sugar.
- In a mixing bowl, add the powdered sugar and then the vanilla. Stir until the mixture forms soft peaks. Then, spread the mixture over the cooled pie filling and top with coconut. Let set for 2 hours.
TIPS AND TRICKS:
Cool whip can be used instead of the heavy whipping cream in making the coconut cream pie. It will keep in the fridge for up to 3 to 4 days. If you want to make a fresh coconut cream pie, use Nature’s Charm Coco Whipping Cream or Savoy coconut cream.